Holiday Pomander Balls•
Posted on December 22 2019
These sweet and spicy natural holiday decorations are 100% biodegradable, easy to create and smell just heavenly!
Here's what you will need:
- Firm Orange (one per ball).
- Natural Cloves (available from spice aisle in supermarkets).
- Sharpie or Marker Pen.
- Jute Twine/Ribbon.
- Cutting Blade/Knife.
- Tea light Candles.
- Cinnamon & Allspice (available from spice aisle in supermarkets).
- Paper Towel for cleanup.
How to make Orange & Clove Pomander Balls:
- Select a number of firm oranges to use for your project.
- Use a Sharpie pen to dot your pattern beforehand, be creative and arrange the cloves in patterns. As the orange dries, it will release a delicate, spicy fragrance.
- Use a toothpick to make pre-made holes where you marked with the pen; this helps to push the cloves in to the oranges.
- Gently push your cloves in to the holes created with the toothpick, pushing the pointed end in to the orange.
- For a stronger aroma, cover the entire orange with cloves, and then roll it in a mixture of spices such as cinnamon & allspice.
- To create a tea light candle version, mark around a tea light casing on the top of the orange and then carefully cut a hole in to the top of the orange using a blade or knife. Take special care to remove the cut part of the orange and then remove the flesh deep enough to firmly hold a tea light candle. Select oranges with a flat bottom to ensure they stand upright. (Remember: Never leave burning candles unattended).
- To create a hanging pomander, use twine or ribbon to create a tie and suspend the orange for use as a scented decoration.
Some ideas for your Pomander Balls:
- Create a fragrant centrepiece for your festive table, particularly the candle styles.
- Give to friends and family in a cloth bag with a decorative ribbon.
- Use smaller oranges to create a fragrant ornament for the Christmas tree.